Areas of Practice:
• Lucy Cavendish College, Cambridge: M.A
• Queen's University, Belfast: MSSc
• Inns of Court School of Law/City University Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Research
• Middle Temple Harmsworth Entrance Exhibition, Queen Mother Scholar and Benefactors Scholar
• Lucy Cavendish College Emmeline Pankhurst Prize and Harris Blues Prize
Crime and Courts Martial:
Regular appearance in courts martial and the Crown Court with appearances as a leading junior, junior and led junior. Court of Appeal (Criminal Division) and Court Martial Appeal Court (CMAC).
In 2018 led by Mathew Sherratt QC in the case of R v P, a manslaughter trial and also in the trial of R v Ciphers 1A & 1B , negligence; leading Puneet Rai in the case of R v L a continuity of education allowance fraud allegation.
In 2021 leading Puneet Rai in R v R a continuity of education allowance fraud trial, reported in The Times, 21st June 2021.
Some Reported Cases:
• R v L (2011) EWCA Crim 2808, CMAC, A human right to object to war. [See judgment]
• R v B (2011) EWCA Crim 46, CMAC, acting for appellant appealing sentence of dismissal from the Army sentence quashed
• R v I (2010) EWCA Crim 1645 CMAC, acting for appellant appealing sentence of dismissal from the Army;
• R v L (2008) EWCA Crim 989 CA (Criminal Division) concerning dangerous provisions in making and possession indecent images of children. Sentence of imprisonment for public protection quashed and replaced with determinate custodial sentences and sexual offences order;
• R v S (2005) EWCA 2040 CMAC, acting for appellant concerning the power of the Commanding Officer under the Air Force Act 1955 on an election for trial by district court martial.
Regular appearances in the Family Court and High Court – private and public law Children Act cases representing parents, Children’s Guardians and on occasions local authorities; financial remedies proceedings along with removal from the jurisdiction and other Hague Convention proceedings.
H (A Child)  EWCA Civ 714 - CA 3rd May 2012
Appeal in private law children proceedings concerning, amongst other matters, discussions taking place between counsel and the judge. Appeal dismissed. For the Respondent Mother.
• Baines v Army Prosecuting Authority (the Ministry of Defence Intervening) (2005) EWHC 1339 (Admin), (2005) NLJ 1207, High Court. Acting for a solider challenging the Article 6 compatibility of summary dealing under the terms of the Army Act 1955;
• Heidelberg Graphic Equipment Ltd & Othrs v Hogan & Othrs (2004) Ch Div BLD 0710044109 contempt of court criminal standard in civil proceedings
City of Westminster (2007) - death arising from a military diving incident in Germany
Cardiff (2013) – death arising from a range incident at Castlemartin
Solihull (2015) - deaths of reservists on Selection
Birmingham (2017) – death arising from an adventure training canoeing incident in Cyprus
Birmingham (2019) – death arising from a military training incident in Brecon
Advice to Deepcut Families prior to the New Inquests being ordered
Military AGAI 67 advice, drafting and representation; Service Complaints advice, drafting and representation.
Represented core participants in Baha Mousa Public Inquiry (Sir William Gage Chairman (reported 2011)
Advice and assistance to personnel called to give evidence to the Iraq Fatality Investigations (2019/2020)
Alternative Dispute Resolution – Resolution trained Collaborative lawyer; FMA trained Family Mediator